Clocks, Watches/Pearl Grandfather Clock

Question
QUESTION: Good Morning

My Pearl Grand father clock is apprx. 25 yrs old.  The chimes are not in-zinc with the time, how do I adjust this.

thanks.

Bob

ANSWER: Bob, I will assume you are talking about the strike (counts the hours) and not the chime (plays the melodies on the quarters).  If you are talking about the chimes, get back with me.

Turn the minute hand through the quarters, letting them chime, until you reach the hour and the clock strikes.  Count the number of strikes.  Carefully slip the hour hand to the hour that just struck.  Now, using the minute hand, set the clock to the correct time.  You do not have to wait for each chime to play through.  The chimes will auto sync within one two two hours.  Good luck and if you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Thanks John.

I think that would work,  but I failed to mention that my clock doesn't alway chin.  Perhaps it needs a general tune up, or if think that something that I could correct.

Is there some type of general or preventative maintenance I can or should be doing?

Thanks John

Merry Christmas

Bob

B

Answer
Bob, if it doesn't always chime, it could be that the lubricants are old and gummy and/or there are some worn parts.  If one weight is heavier than the other two, it should be hanging on the right (as you face the clock).  If it has been at least 10 years since the last servicing, that could be the problem.  You can buy lubricants to oil and grease a clock movement, but to do it correctly the movement should be separated from the dial so the lubrication points can be accessed.  If you don't know how do do that I would suggest having an experienced clockmaker look at it.  When some function of a clock fails from lack of regular service, there are usually other functions that need attention and that usually requires a complete servicing.  My usual practice is to do that, as I don't just limit the work to one area.  Sometimes it helps to know a few more details, as the make, model and age of the movement and the time since it was last serviced.  Without that I'm just thinking in generalities.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman