Clocks, Watches/Pin for gear.

Hi, Where can I purchase the pin for the gear that moves the moon face? If the pin alone is not available, where can I purchase the gear with the pin?

Gerard, the moon dial gear with the pin on it is a part of the moon dial rather than the movement.  Although we can replace pins in the shop and verify the operation, it is best to obtain the whole gear/pin assembly.  There are many different models and variations of these parts, so I need some additional information.  First I do need the movement identification.  Give me any information you can find on the back plate of the movement.  That will get me started in identifying the dial interface parts.  Next I will need to know the diameter (in thousandths if you can) of the gear with the broken pin, and the number of teeth on that gear.  Very few dial parts are obtainable from suppliers.  However, I do ave quite a few dial parts and can possibly match one for you.  If you will reply to my shop email address below, I can get back to you with the details.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow ups.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)