Clocks, Watches/Powell Quartz Westminster Chime

Question
Dear Experts:
The above named grandfather clock was purchased by my mother January 1989.  She went to heaven recently. I have the Owner's Manual.  It originally sold for $179.98, plus shipping & handling, Model #644.  It is wood-grained, non-wood material and at the top it has a design "Tempus Fugit."  Would any of the Experts be so kind as to take a guess as to its present-day resale value?
Thank You.

Answer
Ann, in my Allexperts personal bio, you will read that I do not give values on the Internet, as I am not a certified appraiser.  However, the suggestion that I give is that the value of modern production clocks are based on the selling (not advertised) price of the clocks, the time purchased, the condition of the clock and movement, and most importantly, the demand for the clock and economy in the area in which you are trying to sell the clock.  You could check local listings, Craigslist, or look for similar clocks on eBay.  Look in the "Completed Listings" rather than listed items.  From your description I would think that your clock is a 31-day Asian wind up clock and if it has any weights they are for decoration only.  From the ones similar in my area, they sell for quite a bit less for the purchase price.  One of our local small discount stores offered ones similar to your description and was selling them for $99.00 new.  I'm sorry I could not give you a more desirable price.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman