Clocks, Watches/how to set moon dial on Emperor grandfather clock

Question
We recently came into possession from a family member of an Emperor grandfather clock. The movement has the markings Erhard Jauch Uhrenfabrik and the numbers 20019, and 110 5 73. The clock chimes and strikes properly, and seems to run just fine, but the instructions on how to set the moon phase dial have been lost. Is there a way to obtain a copy, or would you be able to provide instructions? Thanks!

Answer
Sue, the moon dial rotates and keeps in alignment with the phases of the moon.  The numbers, from 1 to 29-1/2 are the days of the phases, not the days of the month.  Looking in the back of the clock, the moon dial looks like a circular saw blade.  You reach in and turn it clockwise to set it.  Sometimes the moon dials can be turned from the front by gently pushing and turning the dial with a pencil eraser.  When trying to turn the moon dial, if seems jammed, it is probably in the middle of advancing and you should wait an hour or so before trying again.  There are two ways to set the moon dial.  First, check the newspaper weather page, Weather Channel or any source showing the phases of the moon.  Wait until the day of the full moon and turn the moon dial until the full moon is in the center.  Or wait until the day of the new moon and turn the moon dial until no moon is showing.  That's all you have to do.  The second method is to set it on any day.  This is a little more complicated, as there are two types of moon dial drives.  One is the lever drive which advances the moon dial twice a day.  The teeth on the moon dial are about 1/8" apart.  This results in two clicks per day.  The other type uses a set of gears and advances the moon dial once a day, therefore, one click per day.  Another way to tell is to look at the back of the moon dial.  It's a little hard to see, but the lever drive you can see the lever to your right above the movement and on the gear drive, you can see one of the gears near the center.  To set it, look at the last day of the full or new moon.  For example, the last full moon was on December 28, 2012.  Today is January 2, 2013, or 4 days past the full moon.  Turn the moon dial until it shows the full moon.  If the moon dial is the gear drive, advance it clockwise 4 clicks.  If the moon dial is a lever drive, advance it 8 clicks.  This will put the moon dial in alignment and it will continue to be correct unless the clock stops again.

I hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman