Clocks, Watches/Sligh Mantel Clock

Question
QUESTION: Hello John,
Would you be able to date this clock? It's Sligh 0522-1-CM w/movement 2961 from the clock sticker. From the movement, it's Franz Hermle(with an E over the name). 2 Jewels, unadjusted, Made In Germany, 340-020.
I see this is a common Movement and that the "E" may be the key identifier. I'm guessing 1980's. I got this from Goodwill and was sold as untested as they did not have the key. I've wound it with the key from my 1973 Welby and so far the Sligh seems to work and chime pretty well.

ANSWER: Bob, the Hermle movement you have uses a balance wheel regulator rather than a pendulum.  You are correct, the "E" is the identifier.  It was manufactured in 1992.  The key from your Welby is probably the correct one, but if there is more play in the fit than on the Welby, you might want to obtain a key of the next smaller size.  If it has too much play it can slip damaging the clock and possibly cause injury to your hand.  Enjoy your newly found clock!

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

QUESTION: Thanks so much - the Welby key seems to be a perfect fit. The Welby is another story - I also got this at Goodwill and it does not work. I'm waiting for an Instruction Book to see if I can get it going myself. The movement is 350-060. I may be contacting with some specific questions regarding this - I'm not going to blindly jump into it. Thanks again!

Answer
Bob, great the the key works for both.  The 350 is also a balance wheel type movement.  I just wonder what type of instruction book you are getting?  Is it a clock repair book?  There are some manuals that give some types of troubleshooting, but do not get into the repair.  This takes quite a bit of instruction and/or experience.  Regarding the balance wheel movements, the balance wheel is very delicate and requires special cleaning, lubricating and adjusting.  If you are interested in getting into some repair, I might recommend a series of books by Steven G. Conover (www.clockmakersnewsletter.com).  The fist I would suggest is Clock Repair Basics.  He has new series of books Repair 1,2 and 3.  I haven't seen them yet but can say that they are probably excellent.

If you have any more questions, would you contact me at my shop email address below?  It will help free up my Allexperts question queue which has a daily limit.  Thanks.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman