Clocks, Watches/WINDING A REGULATOR CLOCK

Question
I HAVE A 31 DAY REGULATOR WALL CLOCK (KOREAN MADE/MOD #77-7748)THE LEFT KEYHOLE WINDS CLOCKWISE & THE RIGHT WINDS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE; HOW DO I PROPERLY UTILIZE THEM? (IE: ANY ORDER? DO I ALTERNATE? HOW MANY TURNS?).

THANK YOU
MIMI VACHER

Answer
Hi Mimi,

31 day clocks have powerful mainsprings. My arm gets tired winding them. I also don't like to wind them all the way. You can wind your clock once a week if you like or wind them tightly if you like. I prefer to wind the 31 day clock about twice a month by winding it less than fully wound.

I would count how many turns until it is fully wound. Then I would wind it 2/3 of that. When I see the clock running slow I know it's time to wind the clock. Clocks run best at full wind and slow down as the mainspring unwinds. When it's running slow you wind the clock again and set the hands to the correct time.

There is no order for the springs to be wound in.

Make sure your clock is level on the wall. Sometimes when the clock door is opened the bottom of the clock moves to the left on the wall. If that happens you should put a tack or brad in the wall on the left side of the clock so that the clock doesn't slide on the wall every time you open the door. This forceful movement could throw the clock "out of beat" and then it will not run.

Hope this helps,
Marilyn  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti