Clocks, Watches/Removing clock hands

Question
QUESTION: I have a Seth Thomas Westminster wall clock with a Hermle quartz chime/pendelum battery movement (model 2215)that I am trying to replace.  However, I can't get the hands off! The hands are ultimately held by a brass button which can be depressed slightly and turned but will not "unscrew."  There is a smaller, cylindrical tube the top button shaft goes through that I was able to unscrew while depressing the top button (see photo).  However, while this smaller fastener is now loose, I still can't release or unscrew the top button.  Thanks!

ANSWER: Steve, under normal conditions, the hands on the 2215 are rather easy to remove.  I'm not sure what the brass button is that you are referring to.  That could be the center portion of a seconds hand and the hand has been broken off.  I have also seen the plug as you describe attached to the second hand shaft that is used for decoration.  To remove it, just pull it straight out.  Then the small round knurled nut is unscrewed to remove the minute hand.  The hour hand is a friction fit and is pulled off.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clock hand closeup
Clock hand closeup  
QUESTION: Thanks John.  Did you see the image I attached to the original question?  I will reattach it here.  It shows what I called the brass button and knurled nut below it.  The knurled nut has been unscrewed and is loose.  I have tried pulling the top button/nut straight off but did not want to pull too hard but try again if that's what you suggest.

Answer
The brass button pulls straight off, then unscrew the round nut, remove the minute hand and pull the hour hand off. Then mount the new movement and put the hands on in reverse as you took them off.  The new movement should have a cap nut without a hole in it.  You can use it in place of the round nut with the hole in it and the brass button.  There should be instructions with the movement on how to set the hands.  I will not be able to answer any more questions after tonight, as I will be traveling and be signed out on vacation.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman