Clocks, Watches/Age & repair

I have a grandfather or perhaps grandmother clock that has been in the family for a long time. The info engraved on the back of the mechanism is confusing me. First is the number 82360 in fairly large numbers. Under that is Miller Germany wrapped around a symbol that is a clock face. Below that is Colonial Mfg. Co. In relatively large print. Below that is a small rectangle around No. 39. And in smallish print at the bottom is Winterhalder Germany. I am not sure how these various manufacturers come together in one place.

I remember winding this clock every Sunday after church when it moved to our house after the death of my grandparents. It chimes every 15 minutes and on the hour. I don't recall whether the lunar phase wheel has worked in my lifetime. The clock has once again come to my home with the chimes, pendulum and weights separate from the mechanism. We need to discover more about the clock and how to put it back together properly. Any guidance is appreciated.

Cindy, I will do some research on the clock.  Zeeland, MI, has been a center for clock manufacturing for years and now Howard Miller is the only company left in that area.  Colonial has gone out of business.  Just off the top of my head, Herman Miller, a clockmaker from Germany, moved to Zeeland, Michigan, and started manufacturing there.  His son Howard Miller,  was the founder of Howard Miller Clock Company.  The manufacturers of clock cases use other manufacturers components, many times with the manufacturer's names on them.  It sounds like the "Miller Germany" movement might have been bought by Colonial for use in their clocks. Winterhalder manufactured clocks from 1850 to 1933.  I'll see if I can determine how that entered into the names.  It would help if I had a photo of the front of the clock and one of the back of the movement.  I can check my resources, including my Internet Clocksmiths Group members to see if we can put this all together for you.  If you can get the photos, please send them to my shop email address below, as I can look at multiple photos better that way.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)