Clocks, Watches/Alaron 31-Day wind-up wall clock (Korea)

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Saunders....the back plate of the movement has no info but the front plate has: Alaron, C-20, unadjusted, no jewels, Korea.  The main-spring is wound to the max (we didn't do it !?) and the clock will only run for about 10 seconds as the pendulum travels in smaller and smaller arcs.  Then the pendulum and escapement eventually stop moving. If I manually nudge the pendulum again, the same brief cycle repeats.  Do you think it needs "lubrication" ?  If so, is there a particular oiling sequence ?  Thanks for your advice.  Sincerely, Landy McBride

ANSWER:  Then the pendulum and escapement eventually stop moving. If I manually nudge the pendulum again, the same brief cycle repeats----- Do you hear it ticking on each swing , left and right? is the sound "even" on each side?  tilt the clock slightly left and right on the wall to hear the "evenness" change--advise

QUESTION: Thanks again for you help.  You were right on and I should have known what to do because of our experience with three other "antique" clocks.  Years ago before I "retired" we had some extra coins and we purchased three vintage clocks from an horologist in Morro Bay, CA.  I was in the Guild for a time but found that my idea of a retirement business/hobby restoring vintage clocks was not going to work because the prices on old clocks had gone wild.  Anyway, we purchased a Vienna single-weight (1878), a German wall clock (1919) and an Ansonia "kitchen clock" (1898).  Our mentor said to align the clocks on the wall (not the mantle clock) by ear just as you said.  Turns out the Vienna single-weight and the "German" clock would not run at all if they were at 90 deg.  Had to be skewed a little off of vertical to the left or right.  When I re-assembled the Korean clock and used my ears instead of my eyes, she started to tic-tok just fine and an hour later she is still going !?  Many thanks for reminding me how things work !  Sincerely, Landy McBride

Answer
mechanisms are not necessarily aligned with the cases--a pro will vertical the case and then adjust the mechanism to be"in beat"

some have built in adjuster knobs where the pendulum hooks on (like Vienna)

some have a clutch built into the verge like the German wall

some need the wire that forms the crutch and encircles the pendulum wire be bent like the Ansonia does

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders