Clocks, Watches/Ansonia 316-GO mantel clock won't run

Question
I wound up all three points, and it will chime when I move the hands, but the flywheel isn't moving.  Is there some "on" button or 'unlock' I don't know about?  It is level.  If it's not running, does this mean it's broken?

Answer
Carolann, usually there is not much published information on the cross reference of clock model numbers and the movement models used in them.  I normally need to know the movement model number, but I think the Ansonia you have was made by the now defunct Ansonia Clock Company out of Lynwood, Washington.  I believe the 316 uses the 1050 8-day triple chime movement, made for Ansonia by Hermle.  If it is a single Westminster movement, it would be a 350. This is the balance wheel regulator version.  If it is a pendulum type it would be a 1051 or a 1050.  If it is the 1051 triple chime version, there is a lever on the right which selects the melodies (The 350 or 351 could have a silent/chime lever.)  The top position is for silent.  However, in looking back at your question, you say the "flywheel" isn't moving.  This the fan or fly governor.  There are two of them.  As you look at the back of the clock, the one on the left is for the chime, which plays the melodies on the quarters.  The one on the right is for the strike, which counts out the hour on the hour.  If the flys for the chimes and strike are running when they are supposed to, check to see if the hammers are pulling back and being released.  Some of these movements were equipped with transport or silence levers.  They might be in place to silence the chime and/or strike.  One more thing and that is that there might be some failure due to old and gummy lubricants and/or worn parts.  Get back with me and let me know what you find.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman