Clocks, Watches/Ansonia Gold Medalion mantel clock, model 1050-021

Question
QUESTION: Hi - A friend's mother left her this clock, but no instructions on how to wind it.  There are 3 places to wind it - do I just wind up all three until the key stops (not too tight), or is there a special order to wind it?

ANSWER: Carolann, you are right on!  Wind up all three until the key stops (not to tight)*.  The order doesn't matter.  Wind once a week.  Left is for the strike, center for the time and right for the chime.

*This is not the way I usually instruct someone on how tight to wind a clock.  But I like it and think I will now explain it this way.  Hey, I learned something today!!!

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Thanks!  We forgot to mention, "wind it clockwise"!  I have a Kundo perpetual motion anniversary clock, so I know about winding with a key - there's a 'feel' to it - wind clockwise, slowly and gently (usually half-turns), and you'll feel the winding action grow tighter as you get close to the point where you need to stop.  (If you think you feel afraid to tighten it any more, STOP!)  Over tightening will screw up your clock.  My Kundo is in need of cleaning/adjustment.  It's not keeping time anymore, for the first time in 50 years, but still spins when the weights are put in motion.  Back to the Ansonia - is there anything else I need to know?  Any adjustments if it is running too slow or too fast?  Interesting that it needs winding every week - my Kundo would go 3 months (I think) between windings.  Also interesting about the strike, time, and chime.  I don't know what "strike" is...thought it was part of the chime.  I do see there are 3 different chimes to choose from (assuming one is West Minster - any idea what the other two are?), plus a "silent".  Thanks for your help!

Answer
Carolann,  I think we are getting crossed on our Q&A.  I just answered a previous question without reading this one.  But in answer to this question, we almost never say never or always in the clock business.  There are many exceptions.  As far as winding direction, and there are many that vary, some clocks are wound clockwise, some counter clockwise, and some with the winding of one clockwise the the other counterclockwise.  Your Ansonia winds clockwise.  

The Kundo is not really a "perpetual motion" clock is that it still has to receive external power, such as winding.  If in very good condition, it should run one year per winding.  It sounds like it needs servicing, which includes breaking down, inspecting (actually we hardly ever have to replace or repair the actual movement parts because of very little wear on this slow moving clock), cleaning, oiling and adjusting.  It should be done by a clockmaker that is experienced in the anniversary or 400-day clocks.  There are special tools and books needed.

There is an adjustment for the regulator on your Ansonia.  The 1050 uses a older style floating balance or the newer balance wheel, either located at the center top back of the movement.  I think your Ansonia uses the newer type balance wheel.  The floating balance has a vertical spiral spring, and the balance wheel has a horizontal flat hairspring.  Let me know which type you have and reply to my shop email address below and I'll be glad to send you instructions.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman