Clocks, Watches/Chime on Zaandam clock

Question
QUESTION: John,
I have acquired a Zaandam Dutch Wall clock.  It is working fine except that the chime beats just once on the hour and not at all on the half hour.  This would be fine except that the chime pendulum is only progressing downwards at a fraction of the other pendulum's rate, leaving both of them looking completely uneven.
Am I correct in thinking that the chime should be beating out the hour and, if so, what can I do to correct it?

ANSWER: Brendan, the strike mechanism is malfunctioning.  Can you find any information on the movement, such as identification numbers and writing on the back of the movement?  The strike is controlled by either a count wheel mechanism in older clocks or the rack and snail in the newer reproductions.  I have just send an inquiry to my Internet Clocksmiths Group to see if there were in fact the two types.  The diagnostics and repair would depend on the type.  When I hear back from you and my Clocksmith members, I will let you know what needs to be done to resolve the problem and discuss whether you would be capable of doing it yourself or if it needs to be taken to an experienced clocklmaker.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Zaandam Clock
Zaandam Clock  

Zaandam Clock 2
Zaandam Clock 2  
QUESTION: John,
Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.  I am attaching a couple of photos of the clock which may be helpful to you.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Answer
Brendan, I have send the photo of the back of the movement to my group.  I think it is the rack and snail type, but will wait for a confirmation.  If it is I will send you some photos of similar movements.  Please contact me at my shop email address below and I will be able to email the photos and information to you.  That will also free up my limited Allexperts question queue, as I have a limited number per day.  To look at it an fix it, the movement will have to be removed from the case.  If you cannot do that, it would be best to send it to an experienced clockmaker.  But we'll see first which type it is.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman