Clocks, Watches/Emperor 100m clock

clock works
clock works  
I have a 1973/74 vintage Emperor 100M grandfather clock. It worked fine until May of 2010 when it was moved and has since sat in a relative's living room unused. I am trying to get it going again. From my reading of the instructions everything seems to be in place just fine. When the pendulum swings I notice that the shaft for the second gear (which sits inside the works) moves both up and laterally in its hole in the anchor bridge assembly. Page 4 figure 2B in the instructions shows the anchor bridge and the very small hole for the gear I am referring to. It appears that the movement of the pendulum/suspension arm causes the first two gears to bind and causes the movement of the shaft within its hole. Is the hole worn and now too big? I have attached a picture looking down on the movement and the gear in question. The black gear in the center of the picture causes the gear below it to move laterally and upward. I have tried adjusting the screws and the height of the anchor bridge assembly but with no luck. Initially one screw was loose and the right side sat lower than the left. After evening the two sides up and trying different heights I still cannot keep the clock running. The works numbers are 771073 on the left and 223063 on the right. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The clock is a family heirloom. My grandfather built the kit in 1973/74.

Michael, I certainly understand you wanting to get your family clock running again.  You have mentioned a couple of things that will be difficult to give instructions on resolving.  First, the Emperor 100M was manufactured by Jauch and we call it the Jauch 77.  There were some issues with bushing wear and that's why the arbors (shafts) are loose in the bushings.  The first and most common problem with these movements is that the chime experiences a gradual slowing down until it no longer functions.  This, of course, results in the strike not working.  The fact that the anchor bridge was loose would be the cause of it not running.  The adjustment is rather critical and should NOT be done without removing the center weight.  If the pallets are moved away from the escape wheel with the weight still on, the wheel will speed up without escaping and the escape teeth will be bent over, and would need to be replaced.  

If the movement is in good running condition, the clock has to be stable and the movement should run "in beat", meaning that the tick tock is even.  But I think that the other problems you mention would cause it not to run anyhow.  Incidentally, Emperor discontinued using the Jauch 77 because of the wear problem and switched to the Hermle 451, which we designated the Emperor 101M.  Very few of the 100M movements are restored for a couple of reasons.  When one problem is fixed other problems seem to appear, and the other is that customers don't want to pay the amount for restoring one fully to reliable operation.  Every now and then I run into one that is is rather good condition and restore it without much trouble.  There are two more ways to go. To keep the original movement in the clock, there are a few NOS (New Old Stock) Jauch 77 movements that come to the surface occasionally.  I see them every now and then on eBay.  The other option is to convert to the Hermle 451 movement.  There is no change in the  appearance, except of a few subtle differences in the movements.  This requires a conversion kit which consists of a new movement, hands, mounting shims/screws, a pendulum top hook and a 6.6# weight filler to compensate for the additional weight required for the chime function.  I have installed quite a few of these in place of the old Jauch 77's.  

There is not much I can tell you without looking at the movement.  I would suggest you have an experienced clockmaker look at it and give you an evaluation.  I have the conversion kits which you can install, And I have done the conversions when the movement/dial/movement frames were sent to me if the clock owner felt they could not do it.  Or I can give you the sources for obtaining these kits if you would want a local clockmaker to do it.  You can email me at my shop email address below and I will reply with the details.  Sorry I don't have a answer for a quick fix.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)