Clocks, Watches/Empire Cherry series 120 grandfather clock kit

Question
QUESTION: Hi John,
I have the opportunity to buy a complete cherry series 120 kit with movement In the box. Not sure if it is the 100 or 101 movement but any case was thinking about offering $50 or $100. What would be a fair offer if no parts are missing. Do you think the wood would warp unfinished all these years later and would an unused movement be good all these years later. Will see it next week.
Any input would be appreciated

David

ANSWER: David, I normally don't give values on the Internet, but your case is a little different.  First, I believe you are referring to the Emperor rather than Empire.  Normally, the wood which is a good grade species (in your case, solid cherry), will not have warped if it has been a moisture free atmosphere.  An unused movement will be okay other than the lubricants have probably become old and gummy and it should be field cleaned and then re-lubricated.  The model 100 movement was what we refer to as the Jauch 77 and the 101 is the Hermle 451 which replaced the 100.  The 451 is still made today.  On eBay I have seen these kits go for $200-$300 if all the parts are there.  I myself would certainly pay a couple of hundred for a complete kit.  So, I would look for an asking price and go from there.  Depending on any parts that might be missing, I do have many of parts for the vintage Emperor clocks and frequently help kit builders on advice in building, assembling and maintaining their Emperor clocks.  If I don't have the parts I try to help in finding them.   Good luck.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Hi John ,
I realized I did say empire instead of Emperor. I keep saying that don't know why.
Thank you for the quick response. I will probably have questions since I have never built a clock, I do know the outcome of the finishing is very important to be done right for an excellent finish. I have a couple people I know who are custom furniture makers I will consult them for finishing. I'm  glad to know I can seek you advice for the future. Lets hope the kit doesn't sit another 30 years, since I do have other clocks in the house.

David

Answer
Okay, David.  If you do have any more questions you can go to my shop email address below and that will help free up my limited Allexperts question queue.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman