Clocks, Watches/Finial base broken

Question
Hi there John,

I have an Howard Miller 610-630 and it's cabinet got damaged.  The block that holds the finial is split in two pieces.  It got damaged when I had movers move my stuff from one house to another and they kept it a secret and I realize that once they were gone.  They must have put the other broken piece in their pocket and ran away with it as I couldn't not find it anywhere beside all my grand father clocks.  If I had found it, I would have been able to glue it back to the half part that's left on the top cabinet.  Nonetheless, I've called Howard Miller and they don't have that part in stock since the clock is 10+ years old.  Is there anything you can help me with?  Do you have a replacement part that will look authentic, size and color matching or perhaps an original?

Many thanks in advance, Joseph.

Answer
Joseph, I believe you are talking about the flat square piece that fits above the top of the carved "fan" design and it wold have a hole in it for the finial.  Of course the finial should have been removed before shipping to keep from breaking it or the platform.  I would suggest you take the remaining half to a wood shop or cabinetmaker and have them make one the same size and finish.  Very seldom do clock (and furnuiture) manufacturers have replacedment parts for product lines.  Even between production runs the wood and finish characteristics change and they are all made together with each run so they match.  If you can't find anyone to do it, contact me at my shop email address and I'll see if I can help.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman