Clocks, Watches/Hermle 791-681 14 day skeleton clock

Question
I have a clock kit my father-in-law purchased 12 or more years ago.  It was never assembled and the kit and movement have been original boxes since then.  I finally got around to assembling it and installed the clock movement and found that the drum that held the spring mechanism was damaged at some point the back panel on the spring drum had decoupled from the drum.  I was able to remove the this "drive" drum and get the back put back on.  But now when I wind the clock, after about two turns of the key, a loud noise comes from the drum and the tension in the spring is gone.  Futher examination of the internal spring, it looks to be broken in the coil.  
Is this repairable, or can I get a replacement spring drum assembly?
Thanks

Answer
Gary, I believe that the mainspring barrel assembly is available, but you might need only the mainspring.  Of course the original mainspring has to be removed and the new one installed, which requires a winding machine or doing it manually, which I do not recommend to anyone is not experienced in doing this.  In the clock repair classes I have taught, I have equated handling mainsprings to that of handling rattlesnakes.  If you are experienced, there is little danger of getting struck.  So it would probably be better to install the complete barrel assembly.  There is one more concern.  What usually happens is that either the mainspring or mainspring ratchet click has been broken and the mainspring has let go with a lot of force.  This will either damage teeth or bend the next arbor (shaft).  These things should be checked before doing replacing any parts.  If this is the case, it would be best to have an experienced clockmaker look at it.  Sometimes if the mainspring is not damaged, it can be formed so the ends catch on the hooks or rivets and will function satisfactorily.  But I cannot tell without looking at the parts.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman