Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller Grand Father Clock

Someone over wound my Howard Miller Grand Father Clock. Well at least that's what I'm thinking, the center weight wont drop.Im not sure what to do.

You can't "overwind" the clock. If it won't run it's either because it was thrown out of beat or because the movement needs to be cleaned & overhauled. The latter needs to be done evry 15 yrs. or so on average. If it's out of beat & it's a newer clock made in the last 20 years, you van re-establish the beat by giving the pendulum a wide swing, where it nearly touches the side of the case. An older clock wouldn't have a self-adjusting beat movement and will have to be manually adjusted.
Refer to Fig. E

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.