Clocks, Watches/Information on Seth Thomas mantle clock

What can you tell me about Westminster Chime Clock equip with #124 series 8day pendulum movement ? Information on back cover paper says division of general time instruments corps, Thomaston Conn. 432-M in lower L corner. Also a stamped 427 after SETH THOMAS CLOCKS. I remember it chiming on 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 hr with 4, 8, 12, and then 16 chimes with strikes on the hour. Key is missing.

Diane, the numbers for clocks are not 100% standard.  There were a few different date codes, some reversed completely until the late 1800's and others partially reversed later.  So your 427 number could mean that the clock was manufactured in 7th month of 1942 or July 1942.  The #124 was a very popular movement and used in a lot of Seth Thomas clocks and was manufactured from 1924 to 1956.

Some of the history of the Seth Thomas Clock Company is as follows:

1813  Seth Thomas started manufacturing clocks

1931  Western Clock Company and Seth Thomas merged as a division of General Time

1955  Seth Thomas factory was flooded in Connecticut and moved to the General Time factory in Georgia

1969  General Time Corp was acquired by Tally Industries in Arizona and possibly move the headquarters to Georgia.

Diana, the above information was obtained from different sources such as "Bill's Clock Works" on the Internet.  You can get further information by Googling Seth Thomas Clock Company History, Seth Thomas Date Codes, etc.  If you can send a photo of your clock to my shop email address below, I might be able to identify the case and a closer date of manufacture.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)