Clocks, Watches/Linden 8 Day Westmister Wall Clock

Question
My clock just suddenly stopped running one day, I was wanting to take the clock apart and clean it since it has never been cleaned. The clock was given to me in 1980. I noticed to get the clock apart you need to remove the hands, how do you go about doing that? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Answer
Jimmy, I am reluctant to advise anyone to clean a clock, particularly one that is over 30 years old.  It would probably need the services of an experienced clockmaker.  My recommendation is that a clock should be serviced every 7 to 10 years, to check for worn parts and replace the old gummy oil and grease with the correct lubricants.  The main reason for a clock stopping is because of gummy lubricants and/or worn parts.  When we service a clock professionally, we break it down, clean each part with the proper clock cleaning chemicals and inspect it for any wear or damage.  Then we repair any of the parts and relubricate every moving part.  To instruct you on how to do this would usually take a few hours of instruction and hands-on training.  

In answer to your question, to remove the hands, the hand nut is removed and the minute hand removed from the square end minute shaft (when replacing it, the hand will have to be put on the correct position of the square to synchronize the chime function).  After the minute hand is removed, the hour hand can be slipped off.  Occasionally the hour hand bushing has frozen to the hour tube and has to be loosened with chemicals or special hand removal tools have to be used.  If you will email me at my shop email address I will reply with a list of diagnostics for a stopped clock, instructions for lubricating a clock along with a labeled photo for lubrication points.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman