Clocks, Watches/Model of clock

Waterbury clock
Waterbury clock  
Waterbury clock
Waterbury clock  
QUESTION: We have just bought an old Waterbury clock for $87. I took out the works, cleaned it, checked for wear, and oiled it. It ran some in the shop when I bought it so I thought it was OK. We had not seen an alarm in a clock such as this before. I looked for pictures on the web in an attempt to learn about it but was unsuccessful in finding one. We want to know the model and when it was built and how to set the alarm. The only numbers on the works are "6 1/2 in ". I assume that is the length of the pendulum. There are no other markings inside or outside. There is only the lower right corner of the label on the back. It runs well and rings on the half hour and on the hour.  Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: Hi Larry,

The alarm is nice.  You set the alarm by winding the spring on the alarm. To set the alarm I think you have to set that middle wheel on the hands. I think you have to put the time you want the alarm to go off on the spot where the hour hand is now.  
For example, the hands are set at five oclock on the photo shown. If you want the alarm to go off at 10 you would put the number 10 on that wheel at the five o'clock position.

I haven't set one in a long time but it goes something like that.

Nice clock.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady.

QUESTION: I'll try the alarm out. Thank you.
Do you know the model name and approximate date of manufacture of this clock?

Hi Larry,
There are many varieties of these Gingerbread clocks....also called kitchen clocks. You would need to research and see which clock case fits yours best. They were made around 1900 give or take...

If you go on ebay, including looking on "completed listings" you may find your clock. They all have a name but you need to find the one that is exactly like your case. Look under Waterbury gingerbread or kitchen clock with alarm.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist