Clocks, Watches/WALTHAM 31 DAY

Question
I have just inherited a Waltham 31 day pendulum clock. It keeps good time but at the top of every hour it chimes 12 times. Every time. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Answer
Hi Dewey,

You need to take the hands and the dial off so you can study the "rack and snail" part of the striking train. Something in there is not falling correctly.

You may be able to find a youtube video on the rack and snail part of the clock.
Here is an article that shows the components.
http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Rack_Strike_Elements

It sounds like the rack is not falling on the snail correctly. The rack may be falling behind the snail which would strike 12 or more....

There could be many other problems that I can not diagnosis unless I see it working.

Hope this helps,
Marilyn
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti