Clocks, Watches/WALTHAM 31 DAY

I have just inherited a Waltham 31 day pendulum clock. It keeps good time but at the top of every hour it chimes 12 times. Every time. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi Dewey,

You need to take the hands and the dial off so you can study the "rack and snail" part of the striking train. Something in there is not falling correctly.

You may be able to find a youtube video on the rack and snail part of the clock.
Here is an article that shows the components.

It sounds like the rack is not falling on the snail correctly. The rack may be falling behind the snail which would strike 12 or more....

There could be many other problems that I can not diagnosis unless I see it working.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist