Clocks, Watches/Zaandam clock chime

In answer to your question the clock appears to have a  count  wheel with eight teeth connecting to the strike hammer.

Brendan, if it is the count wheel type there is a malfunction with the count lever mechanism.  It is a lever that drops on the count wheel that has notches in it.  There is a space between the first and second notch so when the wheel turns the count lever is lifted by a trip cam on the minute hand shaft.  It allows the clock to strike once befor dropping into the second notch and stopping the stike.  When the lever is lifted the next time there is enought space to allow it to strike twice befor dropping into the next notch.  This continues until it reaches 12 and starts all over again.  There is a second type of count wheel strike that has a single notch after each hour strike.  It is tripped on each half hour.  So the clock strikes one time, then one time, then two times, then one time, etc.  The count lever is controlled by the trip cam through a lift lever and the count lever.  So there could be a problem in any of these areas, probably the adjustment between the lock lever, lift lever and count lever.  To correct this would probably need the services of an experienced clockmaker.  Sorry I could not help you more.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)