Clocks, Watches/Diplomat Clock question

Question
I have a diplomat clock that I picked up from an Auction everything seems to work fine on it except the chimes for the hours. If you're standing at the rear of the clock the left side chimes for the quarter hours which has eight hammers striking at different times. The right side has (4) hammers that should all strike at the same time. You can move them freely by hand because there is "NO" tension. My question is do you have any idea what could be causing this issue? Could this be a simple fix or something a little more complicated? I'm pretty handy when it comes to mechanical things but I thought if I could ask, it might be something simple that would'nt require me to pull it all apart. Thanks for your time!

Roy

Answer
Roy, let me rephrase this a little to help you.  Looking from the back of the clock, you are correct in that the chimes would be on the left side.  They chime the chosen melody (3 selections) on each quarter.  At the hour and the conclusion of the chime melody, the strike (right side) should strike out the hour.  I think what you are saying is that the strike is not working.  The "no tension" is not a problem.  The strike hammers sit at rest and are picked up (all four) by the strike lift cam and then dropped to count out the hour.  There are a few causes for the strike not working:

1.  There is a lever moved against the hammers to keep them from flopping around during transporting the clock.  

2.  There is a strike silence lever set to silent.

3.  The strike train (all the gears) is not being tripped by the chime levers.

4.  The strike train is moving but the hammers are not lifting.

5.  The hammers are lifting but not dropping enough to hit the strike rods.

The first two causes can be corrected by moving the levers.  Item numbers 3 through 5 require that the movement be adjusted.  You might be able to correct one or two of these. If you will look on the back of the movement and give me the information you find, I will be able to determine the the model and possibly instruct you on how to correct it. Other that that you might need to have an experienced clockmaker check it out.  Also check the weights.  The general rule is that if one weight is heavier than the other two equal (usually) ones, it would hang on the right (as you face the clock).  If one weight is lighter than the other two equal (usually) ones, it would hand on the left.  I will be able to tell you more when the model is determined.  One more thought, on chain or cable drive movements, make sure the chain or cable on the strike side (left as you face the clock) is not jammed.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman