Clocks, Watches/Franz Hermle 1050-020

This clock sticks 12 minutes before the strike time. It keeps correct time, but the striking is off. How do I adjust this?
Thank you for your time!

Scott, I don't quite understand the 2 part question.  The first parts indicates the clocks "sticks" 12 minutes before the hour.  Do you mean the clock stops?  Or do you mean the striking is off 12 minutes before the hour?  Let me know as you might have two problems here.

I'm going to copy you on some hand alignment I have written.  There are three sections.  If the clock trips the chime 12 minutes before the hour, the third section would apply.  If the hand bushing is loose so it slips too easily, we will carefully stake it tighter with a hammer, or you can apply a very small amount of super glue between the bushing and the hand.  Caution!  This is done with the hand off the clock.

To synchronize the minute hand for the correct operation, follow these steps:  The minute hand (long one) will fit on the square minute hand shaft in four different positions.  Only one is correct.  The way to determine the correct one is to install it temporarily on any of the positions and move it forward, letting each chime complete it's tune until the hour chime has finished and the hour has struck.  Without turning anything, remove the minute hand and reinstall it pointing to the 12.  Install and tighten the hand nut.  I always use a pair of pliers to tighten the nut a little more than hand tight, but not too much.  This keeps the nut from loosening and coming off in the future.

After synchronizing the minute hand and letting the clock strike the hour, count the number of strikes.  If the hour hand is not pointing to the hour that just struck, slip it to that hour.  This positions the hour hand correctly.  Make sure it is pushed on so it is tight.  Check to see if the hands clear each other and the dial when they rotate.  If they don't they will catch each other and stop the clock.   Then turn the minute hand to reset the clock to the correct time.  The chimes might not be in sync, but they should correct within one to two hours.  

If the minute hand is not pointing exactly to a quarter or hour when you hear a "click" that starts the chime, the bushing needs to be slipped.  If possible, stop the clock and note the position of the minute hand.  Without turning anything, remove the minute hand nut and the minute hand.  Grasp the bushing on the back of the minute hand with a good pair of pliers at a right angle to the jaws of the pliers (this is to keep from pinching your fingers if the pliers slip). Hold the minute hand near the center and slip it in the direction  to correct the position.  Reinstall it (in the same position as you removed it) on the minute hand shaft and check to see if it is pointing at the quarter or the hour.  If not, readjust it.  It may take a few tries to get it just right.  Start the clock again and check for the alignment.   It might be a little off, as the trip point of the clock can vary from tripping it manually.  Therefore, it might need one more fine alignment.

I hope this works.  If not get back with me.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)