Clocks, Watches/Grandfather clock by Diplomat Clock Company

Question
We have a cable-drive triple chime grandfather clock. Model can be 1200, 1250, 1275, 1450 and 1475 according to a piece of paper that came with the clock. There's no indication on the clock of actual model number and/or manufacturer.  

The hour hand is loose and the minute hand is working. Do you have a manual and/or recommendation on how to fix this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

John.

Answer
John, Diplomat, as with many clock companies, identified their movements with their own numbers and the cross reference to the actual movement manufacturer's model number is not always available.  However, the problem with you clock is probably similar to most clocks.  The hour hand should have a tapered slip-on fit.  The more you push it on the tighter it gets.  The way to set it is to turn the minute hand to the hour, and when it strikes, count the number of strikes.  Move the hour hand to that hour and push it on.  Make sure that when the hands turn the hour hand does not touch any part of the dial or does not catch on the minute hand when they cross.  If the hour hand does not tighten when pushed on, the hand bushing is too loose, it will have to be tightened, which requires another proeedure.  Try what I have described and if not, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman