Clocks, Watches/Grandfather clock by Diplomat Clock Company

We have a cable-drive triple chime grandfather clock. Model can be 1200, 1250, 1275, 1450 and 1475 according to a piece of paper that came with the clock. There's no indication on the clock of actual model number and/or manufacturer.  

The hour hand is loose and the minute hand is working. Do you have a manual and/or recommendation on how to fix this problem?

Thank you for your help.

John, Diplomat, as with many clock companies, identified their movements with their own numbers and the cross reference to the actual movement manufacturer's model number is not always available.  However, the problem with you clock is probably similar to most clocks.  The hour hand should have a tapered slip-on fit.  The more you push it on the tighter it gets.  The way to set it is to turn the minute hand to the hour, and when it strikes, count the number of strikes.  Move the hour hand to that hour and push it on.  Make sure that when the hands turn the hour hand does not touch any part of the dial or does not catch on the minute hand when they cross.  If the hour hand does not tighten when pushed on, the hand bushing is too loose, it will have to be tightened, which requires another proeedure.  Try what I have described and if not, get back with me.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)