Clocks, Watches/HM Movement 155 Model 610-110

I have a Howard Miller Movement 155 Model 610-110 with two rods missing from the chime. One of the rods I have in my possession (it appears it might have fallen out as there is no apparent damage to it), the other rod is missing. I noticed the rod has a tapered end with serrated edges on the tapered end but have no idea what that means.

I received the clock from my in-laws who purchased the instrument Dec 18th, 1978. The clock is working fine, chimes every quarter hour and on the hour. I have only had it running for about 4 hours so not sure on accuracy but the clock has a steady rhythm.

Is it possible to get replacement parts and have the rods re-installed? and is it something I can do myself or should I refer to an expert. If an expert is required could you recommend one in my area (Alpharetta, GA)?

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Brian, the tapered part of the rod is cast into a threaded plug that is screwed into the cast iron chime block.  The newer ones are now more like plugs that are pressed into the block.  I would imagine yours is the screw-in type.  They are secured very tightly and I have to use a vise and special screwdriver I have made to insure it doesn't slip or damage the screw slot when removing and replacing.  Also the rods have to be a certain length and sometimes have to be tuned (ground off) for the proper pitch. I do not know of any clockmakers in the Atlanta area that I can recommend.  However, I might have an option would possibly work our.  If you will contact me at my shop email address below, we can discuss the details.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow ups.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)