Clocks, Watches/Linder 31day key wound regulator wall clock

Question
I bought this clock at a garage sale. It is in good condition but not sure how to get it to work. It has 2 key holes on the face of the clock and has a pendulum that hands from a hook on the bottom of the clock. I just need to know how to make it work.
Thanks

Answer
Sherrie, I can only tell you how to start it if everything is in order.  I will also copy you on steps I have written on a clock not running.

First, a caution.  As with any wind up clocks, the mainsprings are strong and if the clock is not wound correctly, they can slip and cause damage to the clock and your hand.  This is especially true with The Asian 31-day clocks such as your Linden, which I think is Chinese.    The mainsprings are wound until a definite change in resistance is felt.  There is no standard in the winding direction of clock, but I feel that with most Chinese clocks the left winding arbor winds clockwise and the right one winds counterclockwise.  I instruct my customers to wind in three steps.  First step, holding the key firmly, turn the key 1/2 turn (you will hear a clicking sound).  Second step, allow the key to come back a little, making sure it catches. Third step, release your hand.  Grasp the key again and repeat until the clock is fully wound.  The importance of this is to keep from releasing your grip on the key before it catches.  If it doesn't the key can kick back and cause serious damage to your hand.  I can only equate it to sticking your hand in a fan.

So, hand the clock on the wall relatively level.  After winding, reach in an gently start the pendulum swinging.  Listen for the beat, i.e., tick tock.  As explained below, make sure it is even.  If everything is in order, it should run for a month.  If not, follow the instructions
below.  If you do have any more questions, such as regulating the time, making sure the clock chimes the correct hour, etc, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

THE FIRST LEVEL IS THE SETUP.  

For Floor Clocks   If the clock is in operating condition but not working, I would check the stability of the clock in that it doesn't rock or wobble on the floor.  It should be relatively level.  The level is not critical, as setting the beat (below) will correct for this.  

Next, verify that the weights are hung correctly.  On most clocks the weights vary in weight.  The general rule is that if two weights are equal, the third weight, if it is heavier, goes on the right side (as you face the clock).  If the third weight is lighter, it goes on the left.  This most often applies to clocks with a stick pendulum.  If a decorative metal lyre pendulum is used, the center weight usually has to weigh a little more, sometimes as much as the right chime weight.

Is the pendulum hanging configuration correct?  This means that the suspension spring, hanger, verge and pendulum are all connected properly with nothing broken, especially the suspension spring.  When the pendulum swings, it should be "in beat", meaning that when the pendulum swings you hear an even tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it is uneven, like tick..tock......tick..tock, the clock will probably stop.  Most later model movements have an "auto-beat" mechanism.  The beat can be set by holding the pendulum over to one side next to the case and releasing it.  It will automatically correct itself.  If it does not have this feature, the escapement crutch will have to be slipped manually.  If required, I would need a good description of the verge and hanger mechanism or a photo of the back of the movement to give you instructions for that.  Also check to see if the hands are catching on each other or the dial.  Look at the chime and strike hammers to see if they are all in alignment at the rest position.  Sometimes jammed hammers or the drive mechanisms will stall the clock.

For Mantel or Wall Clocks   The clock should be stable and not wobble or rock.  There should be an even beat (explained above).  If not, wall clocks can be set in beat by moving the bottom of the clock to one side or the other.  Some wall clocks have the auto-beat adjustment.  Mantle clocks can be shimmed up on one side or the other to obtain an even beat.  These methods work if the beat is not off too much.  If the out-of-beat condition of these clocks are excessive, other adjustments have to be made.

THE SECOND LEVEL INCLUDES MAINTENANCE

Usually, the first symptom of a clock failing is that the chime and/or strike mechanisms slow down and then fail altogether.  At this point the clock needs to be serviced.  This includes cleaning, inspecting, oiling and adjusting.  In the inspection, the movement is checked for adjustments, broken or worn parts.  If there are any broken or worn parts, we go to the third level. If all parts are okay, a good clock oil and grease is used.  In most cases the movement should be removed from the case to have access to all the lubrication points.  Clock lubricants can be bought from clock suppliers.  Using lubricants for other applications can cause problems, as some lubricants are not compatible with others.  This even applies to different clock oils.  After lubricating, the operation is checked for final adjustments.  I recommend maintenance be performed every 7 to 10 years.

THE THIRD LEVEL IS REPAIR.

This requires that the movement be broken down and all parts inspected and repaired or replaced, and then reassembled lubricated, adjusted and tested.  I do not recommend this except by an experienced clockmaker.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman