Clocks, Watches/clock movement

Hi john i recently rescued a howard miller floor clock from being trashed it has no weights or pendulum the clocks tags say movt.180 model 4895 serial#67854 the movement doesn't have a maker there are numbers uw/15A    or88583 can u tell me what weights and pendulum I need thanks for your help

Kevin, I apologize for the delay in my answer.  I had misplaced my Urgos spec information and had not gotten back to answer your question. I will have to check with my Internet Clocksmiths group to see if anyone has the information.  The weights we might can give you, but the pendulum will require a little more research.  Urgos went out of business a few years ago and Hermle is now manufacturing some of the movements.  I don't think they are manufacturing the UW/15A.  Pendulum lengths are random in length according to the type and weight distribution.  So, we cannot go to one of our clock suppliers and specify a pendulum for a discontinued movement.  The model will determine the pendulum length, but it will vary.  Sometimes we have to hang a desired type of pendulum on a movement and test it to determine the length we need to make it.  I will get back with you.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

One of our Internet Clocksmiths Group is rather sure that model uses (from left to right as you face the clock) 7.5# (strike), 7.5# (time) and 10# (chime).  The pendulum will have to be determined by testing and timing one.  This would require the procedure as outlined above.  If I had the movement I could do it, but see if you can find a clockmaker near you that could help you out.  If you can give me the general area in which you live, I might be able to help you find someone.  You can contact me at my shop email address below.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)