Clocks, Watches/franz hermle 130-070 running slow

pyewacket71 wrote at 2013-12-23 02:39:42
Hi, Brian from Frankston, Australia. With these oscillators I agree cleanliness is of great importance. Also I have found that over the years many of these clocks have been "adjusted" by do it yourselfers and have had the escape forks fiddled with. The position of he escape fork on the twin wires on the oscillator wheel is critical and has to impart the correct amount of thrust to the fork. Too little thrust can cause the clock to run slow, too much can cause jamming. Bench testing is the only way to correct any fault here and is best done VERY carefully to achieve good timekeeping. Patience is the only way. Minute alteration of the fork will cause a difference due to the thrust of the unit. I hope this might be of benefit to anyone game enough to try.  I have had  success  with this method on several occasions to give an accurate timekeeping.  Cheers, Brian

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)