Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller grandfather clock

Question
QUESTION: While on vacation, my clock ran down, upon returning I attempted to reset time, and now it will not stop chiming until it runs the chime weight to the bottom, this happened when I first moved the clock to my home, but when I rewound it, it quit that behavior. Any ideas as to why it will not stop chiming until it runs down?

ANSWER: This is an important question. Chiming or striking the hour? Which weight is going to the bottom? Looking at the clock, which side, left or right?

The only thing I can think of off hand is to take the weights off the clock. Gently pull the one that keeps going. See if the slower rate will stop the insanity.

If so, put the weights back on.
If not, let me know which weight goes to the bottom.

Marilyn
The Clocklady.

QUESTION: I did as you said.  Pulled gently on the side.  When I put the weights on and turned the hands to reset time it chimes and strikes until the clock weight on the left goes all the way to the bottom. When I start the pendulum swinging so the clock actually runs it will chime and then strike for five continuous minutes. It chimes and strikes on every quarter half and full hour for five full minutes when the clock is running.  Or like I said non stop if the pendulum is stopped until the left weight goes all the way to the bottom.  It was running fine until it ran down while I was gone which is the confusing part.  I have restarted it before when this has happened.  Any other ideas?

Answer
Hi Terri,

That sounds like the striking...left weight/train...has an issue. It may be a stop pin that came loose so it keeps on striking.

If you can't locate the problem yourself you will need to call a professional.

Sorry I can't help you any more.

Marilyn
The Clocklady  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti