Clocks, Watches/Service or Rebuild

I have a Emperor 120 clock, with a Emperor/Jauch 77 movement, that I built from a kit in 1974! It has never been serviced! My question is, both the weights for the chimes and moon dial are all the way up and neither of them are working! When I wind the middle weight all the way to the top, the clock won't run! I manually swing the pendulum until the clock finally runs and it keeps perfect time! If I wind the middle chain to within 3.5 inches from the top it runs just fine, keeping perfect time! I'm sure it needs to be serviced or maybe even rebuilt! Would this be my problem?

Thank you,

Carl, a mechanical clock movement, like a car, requires periodic service to keep it running.  The recommended service intervals for cars are a few thousand miles.  They could run probably 20 or 30 thousand miles without service, but some damage would have probably occurred.  The same is with clocks.  I recommend service every 7 to 10 years.  I have seen some that have run 25 or 30 years without service, but there is usually a lot of wear.  The Jauch 77 movements have historically show quite a bit of wear, and we very seldom restore them because of the amount of labor required.  This includes not only replacing the many bushings and pivot repair required, but testing and adjusting to insure they will run reliably.  The restoration costs sometimes reach or exceed the replacement cost of a new movement conversion (Hermle 451 series).  The reason I mention conversion is that Jauch stopped making movements many years ago.  Probably the best thing to do is to have a clockmaker experienced in the Jauch 77 evaluate the condition of your movement.  The reason is that if they have never worked on these before, they might think they would be simple to fix.  I started out that way and did not realize what the problems were.  I do have conversion kits for Jauch 77, and if it turns out that you need one, I can give you further information.  Contact me at my shop email address below and I will send you the details.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow ups.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)