Clocks, Watches/Waltham Chime clock

Question
This clock has 2 wind up keys.  Both the chime and the time are okay....except the time runs slightly SLOWER. It builds up over time.  Is there an adjustment to control the rate of the swing or the speed of the clock?

Answer
Larry, without further description of your clock I don't know whether it was manufactured by the early American company around the turn of the century (1900), or an Asian 31-day clock using that name.  However, the speed is controlled by the pendulum adjustment.  There should be a small round nut called the regulating nut at the bottom of the pendulum bob.  Basically, it is tightened to increase the rate of the clock and loosened to decrease the rate.  Make sure the bob is resting firmly on the rating nut after each adjustment.  Set the time of the clock using an accurate quartz clock or watch, or electronic time source.  Run it for 24 hours and note the error in time.  Since you did not tell me how slow it runs in a hour or day or week, I cannot tell you how much of an adjustment to make.  Tighten the nut a couple of turns, reset the time and check it again in another 24 hours.  Keep doing this until it is within a few seconds a day.  Note that it is common for mechanical clocks to have a few minutes error in a week's time.  Of course if it runs too fast, after the last adjustment, back if off 1/2 the amount you turned it in the last adjustment. One further way of describing which way to turn the regulating nut is what I call John's Right-hand Rule.  Hold your right hand out in front of you.  With your thumb pointed up curl your fingers and notice in which direction they curl.  Turn the rating nut in that direction and it will increase the speed.  Turn your hand over so your thumb turns down.  Now notice that your fingers curl in the opposite direction.  Turning the regulation nut in that direction and it will decrease in speed.  Thumb up is faster, thumb down is slower.

I hope this helps.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman