Clocks, Watches/Centurion Clock model 694

Centurion 694 clock
Centurion 694 clock  
How do I get the clock hands off, mainly the hour hand. A friend wants me to refinish the cabinet it's in and I would like to take the clock out of it but can't get the hour hand off so that I can remove the clock face. At that point I can drop the entire clock out the back while it's still attached to the back of the cabinet and refinish it.

Bruce, Asian 32-day clocks, which I believe your Centurion is, have a keyed hour hand which means that to remove it you pull it straight off.  I think yours is this type, but a few of the Asian models had a nut on the hour hand.  It could be stuck from being on for a long time and the bond needs to be broken.  In the shop I will apply a small drop of WD-40 or similar solvent on the area where the hand bushing fits on the shaft.  Don't spray it on, and I need to say here that we NEVER spray a clock to get it to run with any type of product such as WD-40. It is not a lubricant per se, and will cause problems with continuing wear or contaminating our cleaning solutions.  Other than that I use WD-40 for just about everything else.  Do not use excessive force to try to remove the hand.  It can damage internal parts of the movement.  If the hand doesn't come off easily, we use a hand removal tool made especially for clocks.  If this is the case, it would be best to have an experienced clockmaker remove it.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)