Clocks, Watches/Emperor 120 Series Grandfather Clock Kit

Dear John,

Wish me luck !

I am about to begin work on the above clock kit which I purchased
in 1983, and which has been residing in my closet ever since ! : )

I also purchased the Moon Dial Movement at the time, and it too is in the original box next to the Walnut clock case kit.

I am going to be using the original assembly instructions which came with the clock.

Are there any revisions in the instructions that you might know of ?

I sure am glad that you are out there !   LOL

Best Wishes,

Harry Miller
         Falls of Rough, KY  

Harry, there have been a few revisions to the Emperor 120 Kit, but I do not have the complete information on the dates of the changes.  If all the original parts and pieces are in your kit, everything should work according to the assembly manual. Some of the revisions include groves in the dial and waist doors to use an improved vinyl glass retainer, elimination of clamp nails in some of the mitered joints, double-ball door catches rather than the bullet catch on the dial door and magnets on the waist door.  The block that holds the magnet on the waist door will sometimes catch the strike weight as it descends if the clock is leaning forward a little, so they changed to double-ball brass catches.  The floor levelers were changed from a plastic insert to metal.  I myself have designed a movement mount and two side blocks that works much easier than the dial/movement frame supplied with the kit.  The dimensions vary a little depending on whether you have the earlier Emperor 100M movement (We call it the Jauch 77), or the Emperor 101M (Hermle 451-050 94cm.  If you have any more questions, particularly during assembly, get back with me at my shop email address below.  Enjoy your good "Winter" project!

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)