Clocks, Watches/Hermle 451-050H

Question
Dear John,
The strike and chime train chain wheels will only allow the weights to be pulled up and will not rotate the other way (as if there is some ratchet or clutch device stopping them). So no strike or chimes.
The time train works perfectly.
As I built the clock myself from a kit(Emperor 120)I can confidently remove the movement from the hood, but as specialist knowledge is required for the movement itself, I would appreciate your input as to whether you think an enthusiastic amateur could overcome this problem with guidance from you good self.
As horologists are thin on the ground where I live, the main reason, together with lack of service information from the manufacturers, is I suspect, the reason for this malfunction.
Any information on oiling and greasing points would be appreciated.
I think it is fantastic that you and all the other horologists are prepared to give advice to us (reading the Q's & A's was very enlightening) and if you could possibly answer my problem I would be very appreciative, knowing how busy you must be.

Many Regards,
Brian Andrews. Warwickshire, UK

Answer
Brian, you are correct in that the ratchet wheels allow the chains to be pulled up in one direction.  That is the purpose of a ratchet.  You hear it click as you wind the clock as it goes past each ratchet tooth on the wheel.  Then the only way the chain can come down is when the clock is functioning and the wheels slowly turn in the opposite direction, allowing the gear train to move.  It could be that the clock needs servicing.  I recommend servicing every 7 to 10 years.  First, check the chime hammers and see if any are out out of alignment with the others.  It could be that one of them is jammed.  If so, gently pull back on all the hammers and then release them.  If that doesn't work, you might need to service it.  Can you give me the information on the back of the clock movement so I can identify the type?  It would probably be the Emperor 100M which is the Jauch 77, or the Emperor 101M, which is the Hermle 451-050 94cm.  My email address is below. Please reply to that and I will be able to send the information and it will free up my Allexperts question queue, as I have a limited number of questions allowed per day.  When I get to my shop Monday, I will send you some instructions and labeled photos on lubricating the movement.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman