Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller Pendulum replacement

QUESTION: John - I recently purchased a Howard Miller wall clock, model 613-231, from an estate sale. It is in excellent shape except missing its pendulum.  I read an answer you gave another person about how to find the pendulum using the number on the back brass plate of the clock.  The number is 351-030 and the number under that is 38 cm.  I also have the serial number but I think you said in your answer to another that if I have the movement number and the pendulum length from the brass plate that should be enough.  So I need to know what and where I will find such a pendulum and if you can help I live in Denver, Colorado.  Thanks.  Nick Pijoan

ANSWER: Nick, you gave me the exact information needed to locate a pendulum for your clock.  When I get back to my shop on Monday I will research it and see what I can find.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: John -    there is another number underneath the 38 cm and it looks like either 115.16 or 115.18.  I cannot be sure on the very last number.  Nick

Nick, that number is a reference to the beat rate for a 38cm pendulum.  I found on that might be identical to the one you need.  I will not be able to check it out until next week, as I will be closed for most of this week.  I will let you know with the results.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)