Clocks, Watches/Loben Grandfather clock

Question
I bought a Loben's Grandfather that sat in the mother-in-laws dinning room for 40 yrs.  We never got it to work but she didn't care.  Now I have it in my home and I would like to get it working but I cannot get the pengulium to stay in motion.  I have it pretty much level, catty corner.  Can you please advise me on what I should do to get this clock working.  It is Tezuka movement w/two weights.

Answer
Hi Lenore,

Any mechanical clock that has been sitting around for 40 years will need to be taken apart and cleaned and oiled. The original oil in the clock has become hardened and will cause the clock not to move freely. I would suggest, if you like the clock, to call a professional and have the clock cleaned, oiled and set up in your home.

Anything other than having the job done correctly will result in wearing of the interior mechanical parts.

The clock needs to be set in beat.
The clock needs to be cleaned.
The clock needs to be oiled.

Unless you want to learn a new trade it may be better for you to hire a professional. Otherwise you will spend hours on the internet trying to learn how to do this. In the end you will probably have to hire a professional anyway.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Marilyn
The Clocklady
www.theclockladyli.com

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti