Clocks, Watches/Missing Sound Panels

Sterling & Sons Clock
Sterling & Sons Clock  
We were given a Sterling & Sons, Ltd 29 1/2 Day Mahogany Grandfather Clock #1101 of 5000. However the top side panels adjacent to clock movement were missing. Do you know anyplace that you can buy this panels?

Ronald, I do not remember ever seeing or actually working on a Sterling & Sons, Ltd GF clock. Unfortunately, all clock companies have runs of clocks and offer a limited stock of replacement parts.  The main reason is that a clock would be finished on a particular production run and any subsequent runs would possibly not match in wood and paint materials.  I have seen clocks of this type with access panels of glass, solid wood and with scrolled wood backed with a sound cloth.  I have access to some photos of the Sterling & Sons, Ltd clocks, but only front views.  Two of the photos show protrusions on the sides and possible hinges, indicating that there might have been side doors attached.  Look on your clock and see if there are any holes in the case where hinge screws might have been used.  If this is the case, I would suggest you contact a furniture or cabinet maker to make a pair of doors for you.  If necessary, I possibly could find some profile drawings of the molding cuts for the door edges and brass hinges that would work with them.  If it is a removable panel type choose the type you might like and contact a glass company for the glass type, or a furniture refinisher for a solid wood raised panel or the scrolled wood type which would be approximately 3/16" or 5 mm, depending on the slot opening in the side of the clock.  These types of panels have a particular height so the can slide up in the upper slot and then drop down in the lower slot.  These slots would not be present in the door types.  The glass type usually has a small hole drilled in the center and a brass knob would be installed with a padded washer arrangement to keep from breaking the glass.  If you need further information, contact me at my shop email address and we can exchange some further details, and it will also free up my limited per day Allexperts question queue.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)