Clocks, Watches/cuckoo clock movement

hello john,i have a question about an old cuckoo movement.the movement is by gm angem.i cant find the round nut if thats what i need,movement has tube for hour hand thats friction fit but the problem is the shaft that comes out has a square on it and then a threaded shaft for minute hand nut.the square is 3.0mm.i have an old unex thats the same but the square has threads on it and a big round nut holds the minute hand on then a washer then the last nut.should the gm angem be the same with the threads on the little square.if its friction fit it has about 3.0mm of play between the bottom and top where you put the washer and end nut on.hope you can help,thanks milt.

Milt, I am not familiar with the gm angem or unix cuckoo clocks.  I could send an inquiry to my Internet Clocksmiths Group, but I don't believe that this would initially help us with locating the hand nut.  The more popular Regula and Hubert Herr cuckoos have used different hand nut configurations along their line of clocks.  Most use an hour hand that has only a hole in it that fits on the tapered hour tube.  Some minute hands have a square bushing as part of the hand assembly. Some have a round hole in them,and they go on a loose bushing that has a square hole in it to fit on the square threaded minute shaft.  This is all secured with a washer and round knurled hand nut.  Then there are others that are configured so that the centershaft drives the minute tube with a friction washer.  It would help if I could see a clear closeup photo of the hand shaft assembly.  If you can do this, please send it to my shop email address below.  I can look at it better coming to my email address.  After all of this, I still might not be able to choose the correct parts.  The clock parts suppliers do offer cuckoo hand nut assortments, and we have to try to find the parts that will work with a particular clock.  Let me know if you can send the photo.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)