Clocks, Watches/date of manufacure

Question
QUESTION: my Emperor 'grandmother' clock has the number 385426 on the bottom right of the back of the movement....and a 77 8 76 stamped on the bottom left on the back of the movement...can you tell me when this clock was made?

thx

ANSWER: William, very little is known about the Jauch dates.  I think you are correct in that the clock you have is a "grandmother".  This clock would be about 74" tall and the movement plates are around 6" X 6".  Grandfather movements are around 6" X 9".  Your movement is what we consider the "Jauch 77" and Emperor's designation for that movement was the "100M".  As much as I have worked with Jauch movements and Emperor, I have never been able to confirm the exact numbering system Juach used.  I have seen a few of the grandfather movements with the "77" on them, but that is rare.  I had met with Dr. Heinz Jauch a few times when he was in the Fairhope, Alabama area, but the subject of the "77" or dating was never discussed.  I will ask around and see if I can find anything more specific about the dates.  I am going to make a guess which would be logical but not necessarily correct and that is that the 38526 is a serial number and the 8 76 might have been the month and year the movement was manufactured.  If I find any more information I will post it.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: john, thanks for the quick feedback.....we bought the clock, there at the emperor clock showroom in Fairhope, but we don't have any of the paperwork.  our clock stopped working years ago and just decided to get it looked at by a local clock repairman here in the atlanta, ga, area..we've never had it service since we purchased it...he's going to clean/adjust the movement and hopefully get it back working..it's a beautiful piece of furniture and i'm told a solid mahogany clock is hard to find...we're excited about getting it working again...do you know if there is any 'paperwork'...manual,cleaning instructions, brochures available anywhere?

thanks, again for your feedback and i'm looking forward to your confirming the manufacture date, if you can...

Answer
William, I do have a bit of information on the "77" (other than the date manufactured).  I know Emperor stopped using the movement in the mid-1980"s because of a wear issue.  Clockmakers will often reject the restoring jobs because of the excessive wear.  As an option we install a Hermle movement using a conversion kit designed for this replacement.  I do have installation, maintenance and troubleshooting manuals for the Jauch 77, but is the type of information that can be applied to most modern production movements.  If you will contact me at my shop email address below, I can give you some more details.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman