Clocks, Watches/grandfather clock stops after changing chimes

I have a colonial molyneux g.f. serial # 8404922 clock, 9 tubular bell movement, 3 chimes +silent.  Had this clock professionally cleaned and now when I change the chime the clock will stop running.  I've had the repairman return several times and now says he has no idea what is causing the clock to stop running. On Occasion the repairman or I can get the clock running by changing the chime by putting it onto Westminster but this time it refuses to run more then 10 minutes.  Any idea what is going on here or how to cure this problem???

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.  Pat

I would be concerned that the repairman says he has no idea. I wouldn't be able to diagnose something like this without inspecting it personally but it sounds as if something fundamental with the overhaul was not done. If this was occurring with my customers clock, after one call to set it right, I would take it back in to find the problem and if that means complete disassembly of the movement again, so be it. It sounds as if he might be trying to wash his hands of it from what you say. You might want to ask him if his warranty includes a refund if he can't find the problem when he says he has no idea, see what his reply is.

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.