Clocks, Watches/jauch 77100m movement weights

Question
hello john,i was wondering why the weights for the jauch 77 100m movements are 4.4 to 4.7.the manual i got with the clock says they should be 5.5.is the 4.4 to 4.7 just the iron fillers or is the manual wrong.i know you said the shells on the manual are wrong,diameter should be 1 ,7/8 not 1 3/4.just wondering if the 5.5 on manual is wrong to.  thanks again milt.

Answer
Hi, Milt.  First, do you have a copy of my saying that the weight shells were wrong?  I have seen both used for the same movement and I could have been referring to a question in which the weight fillers would not fit in the shells.  As far as the difference in weights, I'm not sure which clock company's manual has this information, but there were a couple of different weight values given in the Emperor manuals.  For the Jauch 77 movement, values of 4.4# and 4.7# were used at different times.  I do recall that 5.5# has been used at some time, but am not sure when.  I will have to check to see if any of the vintage Emperor manuals show that value for all three weights.  One of the reasons parts do vary with some similar models of clocks is that the suppliers to the manufacturers would change their product specifications.  While I was at Emperor, we used the 4.4# or the 4.7# for all three weights.  These worked reliably with new movements and those that had been serviced regularly.  Adding more weight will cause the parts to wear prematurely.  How much is hard to tell.  Somewhere around the mid-1980's, Emperor changed from the Jauch 77 (Emperor 100M) to the Hermle 451 (Emperor 101M), and the required weight for the chime function was 6.6#.  So the strike and time weights were either 4.4# or 4.7# and the chime weight was 6.6#.  I don't know the situation with your clock, but if the weights you have are working reliably, I would just leave them that way.  One reason is that the Jauch 77 has a history of premature wear, which usually first appears in the chime function.  If you do have a 5.5# weight and changed to one of the lesser weights, it possibly might not be able to overcome the built up wear and it would fail.  Another situation is that some inexperienced clockmakers run into a reliability problem and think the solution is to add more weight.  This works for a while, but accelerates the wear and will sometimes ruin a movement that could be restored for a reasonable fee.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman