Clocks, Watches/Korean Centurion 35 day Wall Clock

My Centurion 35 day clock works perfect except it only chimes two times at 12:00, all other chimes match the hour. Thank you for your time and any help. Bucky

Bucky, your clock has the typical rack and snail strike mechanism.  There is a problem with the rack dropping down on the snail.  The description is of one I have never heard (I see something new each day!).  I don't know how mechanical minded you are, but if you remove the hands and dial and take a clear photo and email it to me, I might be able to instruct you on resolving the problem.  After the initial photo, I will be able to ask you some questions as far as the sequence of what is happening.  Stop the clock from running, set the time to 1:45 and remove the hands.  There might be a nut to remove for the minute hand AND the hour hand.  Notice how they come off.  Put the minute hand back on.  Just hold it there and you do not have to put the nut back on.  Turn the minute hand until you see the tail of the rack fall on the snail.  Now take the photo (don't do anything else I haven't told you).  That's what I would like to see.  If you don't feel comfortable doing this, it should be looked at by an experienced clockmaker.  My email address is below.  

BTW, I think I do have a Centurion in my shop and I can look at it to get some further ideas.  However, I have to take a service call and might not return this afternoon.  But send the information if you can and I'll check it when it comes in.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)