Clocks, Watches/Pendulum

I have an Emperor 300M clock which is about 40 years old.  The movement is an Erhard Jauch and the number on the back plate is 110 73.  I want to replace the current pendulum (wood stick w/brass bob) with a brass lyre pendulum.  Is one available for this movement?  Thanks!!

Bill, as the movement is not being manufactured any longer and Jauch is no longer in the clock business, the pendulums have to be converted from standard pendulums, such as attaching the correct top hook and selecting the correct length for the pendulum.  Without getting too technical, the weight of the upper part of the lyre pendulum raises the center of mass, requiring the pendulum to be longer than the wood stick pendulum to compensate for the correct regulation.  The first factor that is considered is the diameter of the pendulum bob.  Just yesterday I received a call from a clockmaker that had made this conversion for a customer and the pendulum was a few inches longer, which was not acceptable with the customer.  I told him I would do some experimenting and see if I could come up with a solution.  My main objective with Allexperts is to offer advice and sources for parts.  However, unless you can get a local clockmaker to do this, I do not know of a supplier that could help you, as they stock standard parts for current movements.  So, If you will contact me at my shop email address we can discuss the details.  I have a 300M on the test stand right now that I am restoring for my stock and I was going to do some testing for the other clockmaker.  If you will send me the length of the pendulum measured from the top of the top hook to bottom of the pendulum bob and the diameter of the bob itself, I can use that as a standard and we can go from there.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)