Clocks, Watches/Pendulum

Question
I have an Emperor 300M clock which is about 40 years old.  The movement is an Erhard Jauch and the number on the back plate is 110 73.  I want to replace the current pendulum (wood stick w/brass bob) with a brass lyre pendulum.  Is one available for this movement?  Thanks!!

Answer
Bill, as the movement is not being manufactured any longer and Jauch is no longer in the clock business, the pendulums have to be converted from standard pendulums, such as attaching the correct top hook and selecting the correct length for the pendulum.  Without getting too technical, the weight of the upper part of the lyre pendulum raises the center of mass, requiring the pendulum to be longer than the wood stick pendulum to compensate for the correct regulation.  The first factor that is considered is the diameter of the pendulum bob.  Just yesterday I received a call from a clockmaker that had made this conversion for a customer and the pendulum was a few inches longer, which was not acceptable with the customer.  I told him I would do some experimenting and see if I could come up with a solution.  My main objective with Allexperts is to offer advice and sources for parts.  However, unless you can get a local clockmaker to do this, I do not know of a supplier that could help you, as they stock standard parts for current movements.  So, If you will contact me at my shop email address we can discuss the details.  I have a 300M on the test stand right now that I am restoring for my stock and I was going to do some testing for the other clockmaker.  If you will send me the length of the pendulum measured from the top of the top hook to bottom of the pendulum bob and the diameter of the bob itself, I can use that as a standard and we can go from there.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman