Clocks, Watches/pendulum will not swing

I have a wall clock that has a Hermle 2115 with pendulum quartz movement.  It keeps time perfectly.  For some reason, when we switched batteries, the movement is very loose.  Could this be the reason the pendulum will not swing?  We are using two ray-o-vac "C" batteries.  We also tried the Duracell batteries.  Same thing.  Are the magnets in it to align perfectly?  We noticed it is off somewhat.  Thanking you in advance for your help with this.

Hi Cheryl,

It could be that the movement is loose and needs to be tightened up and if there is play in the movement the pendulum may not swing. There is a nut on the front of the dial just behind the hour hand. You will need to figure out how to remove the glass, if it has glass, to remove the hands to tighten that nut.

Remember where the hands were so they can go back on and chime correctly.

Duracell batteries are better because they have a rounded bottom and fit better in the battery holders.

The pendulum needs to be free of obstructions in order to move back and forth. Check to see if the magnets are hitting each other.

If you can't get the hands off to tighten the nut you may consider hot gluing the movement in place.

Here is a diagram of how a quartz movement is installed.

If the pendulum did not swing prior to changing the batteries you may need a new movement.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist