Clocks, Watches/Schmeckenbecher two weight Vienna

I purchased a Schmeckenbecher Vienna tall case clock on a impulse buy, without doing some research on the clock. It is in a beautiful tall case 57"tall X 16"wide X 7.5 deep. I have check all over the internet and have not found anything about a Schmeckenbecher Vienna clocks it looks like Schmeckenbecher is known for Coo Coo clocks.Thank you for your time and any information you can give me

Eddie, I don't really have any information the Schmenbecher company or your clock, other than snippets found on the Internet.  I have read that the company made a lot of mechanical clocks around the 1950's, and they were exceptionally nice.  I checked on the Antique Clock Price and Identification Website (26,000 clocks) to which I subscribe, and there is no mention of the Schmeckenbecher clocks.   They did make a cuckoos and I have worked on them.  As with many modern production clocks, which I describe as being produced since WWII, there is less information available than on the the older antiques or collectibles which draw more archived information.  This is not to take away from your clock, I would imagine it is a very desirable clock.  Sorry I could not help you more.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)