Clocks, Watches/Wentworth wall clock

QUESTION: I have a Wentworth wall clock with a mechanical movement that was made in China. The number I took off the movement is 9605. The clock does not work. When I start it, within about 15 seconds, the pendulum stops. Would it be cheaper to replace the whole movement than to get it repaired and where can I purchase a movement for this clock?

ANSWER: Most modern wall & mantel clock movements need to be cleaned & overhauled @ every 10-12 years to keep them in good condition. Unfortunately, many repairmen consider the Chinese made clocks to be replacement type items due to the quality of the movement. I do not know of any sources for replacement Chinese movements, the major parts houses don't carry them.

QUESTION: Why then do wall clocks like Wentworth, Kassel use these movements if parts aren't available to fix them. These clocks sell for, usually, over $100.00 and a person doesn't want to keep spending that kind of money each time something goes wrong with their clock. You would think that since this type of movement is being put in these clocks, there would be an outlet for parts replacement if something goes wrong. My thoughts are that many repairmen don't want to work on them. One was willing to repair my clock for $185.00 which is way more than the clock is worth. I think that is why he set his price so high. Thank you for your reply. It gave me an insight as to what my options are.

They are marketed to fill a price niche. A good quality wall  clock with an 8-day movement starts these days at @ $700. These still need to be cleaned & overhauled. If a repairman charges $185 to dismantle, clean, refinish pivots, install bushings then reassemble, oil adjust and test out a good quality 8-day movement why would he charge less to perform the exact same labor on an inexpensive Asian import? His pricing is not based on the retail value of the clock, it is based on experience, skill and overhead. Personally, I couldn't pay my bills if I charged based on what a clock sells for if a good percentage of my customers brought me a $100 clock to repair. I would fill my valuable work hours at minimum wage.  

Clocks, Watches

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.