Clocks, Watches/Zaandam Clock.

Question
My mother gave me one of her older Zaanmdam clocks. It did not work at first but I got a "pro" to fix it. Just recently it has started chiming the wrong hour. Example: Clock says 9 O'Clock and it chimes 10 times. when it get to 12 O'Clock it chimes 4 times.
Thank you for your time.
Kathleen

Answer
Kathleen, if a clock strikes with a consistent error, like 10, times at 9, 11 times at 10, 12 times at 11, the hour hand has slipped and to correct this you you slip the hour hand to the hour that just struck and then use the minute hand to reset the time.  However, your description tells me that the strike mechanism is the problem since it is not consistent.  There are two types of strike on clocks, one is the count wheel which strikes the next hour (or hour, half hour, hour ,half hour, if it is that type) whenever it is tripped.  The rack and snail type will strike the hour wherever the hour hand is pointing, once it is set and hasn't been slipped.  In any case I would contact the clockmaker that serviced the clock and ask that the problem be corrected.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman