Clocks, Watches/Zaandam Clock.

My mother gave me one of her older Zaanmdam clocks. It did not work at first but I got a "pro" to fix it. Just recently it has started chiming the wrong hour. Example: Clock says 9 O'Clock and it chimes 10 times. when it get to 12 O'Clock it chimes 4 times.
Thank you for your time.

Kathleen, if a clock strikes with a consistent error, like 10, times at 9, 11 times at 10, 12 times at 11, the hour hand has slipped and to correct this you you slip the hour hand to the hour that just struck and then use the minute hand to reset the time.  However, your description tells me that the strike mechanism is the problem since it is not consistent.  There are two types of strike on clocks, one is the count wheel which strikes the next hour (or hour, half hour, hour ,half hour, if it is that type) whenever it is tripped.  The rack and snail type will strike the hour wherever the hour hand is pointing, once it is set and hasn't been slipped.  In any case I would contact the clockmaker that serviced the clock and ask that the problem be corrected.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)