Clocks, Watches/balance wheel

I have a hermle 340/020 balance wheel movement.I'm unable to slow it down.I tried turning the screw on the balance wheel but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions

Kevin, I think you have correctly called this the balance wheel (There is another type with a vertical spiral balance spring called the floating balance.)  How old is your clock movement and how long has this problem been going on?  In the movement identification area on the back plate, there are two digits (or an alpha character) above the name.  That is the date of manufacture. The problem with the balance wheel can be a manufacturing defect, wear, oil or debris in the hairspring coils or pivots, hairspring distorted causing the coils to touch, or magnetism.  All of these problems will result in the clock running fast.  I cannot suggest too much for you to do other than have a clockmaker experienced in these balance assemblies look at it.  But let me know the age and length of the problem, and I might have a little more information.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)