Clocks, Watches/damaged movement


I inherited a grandfather clock. Upon arrival, it was obvious that the movement was badly damaged.  The post that sticks out of the clock face was bent about 15 degrees (like it had fallen on its face).
I tried to repair the movement and had a degree of success.  After the gears were straightened and the post made as straight as possible, the clock ran...for about 1/2 an hour and then stopped.
It is now apparent that the clock needs more repair than I can give.  But I cannot identify the movement.  It is a Kieninger movement from a kit made in 1976.  The only markings (other than the logo) are 76 (which I assume is the year it was made).
If I take this movement to a clock repairer, would they be able to identify the movement and repair/replace the bent/broken parts or is this movement just a generic piece?  How can I find the model number?  (Is it inside the movement somewhere?)
I would like to get the bent posts and gears replaced and have the clock working.
>>>what I know about the clock:
Westminister chimes and an hourly chime
5 tubular bells (4 for westminister, 1 for hourly)
3 weights, all chain-driven
kieninger movement
kit grandfather clock built in 1976 (acquired in pieces and assembled by a craftsman)

Thanks you in advance.


Hi Martin,

If you straightened the hand arbor and it is almost straight....AND if that was the ONLY problem the clock could be "out of beat."
A clock will usually run for about 10 minutes to a half hour when out of beat.

You can look on youtube or do a search for "how to put a grandfather clock in beat" and give it a try. What do you have to lose? It's already not running.

Here is a link to another "experts" answer to this question of how to put a clock in beat. He shows a photo and gives detailed instructions.
Figure 25 shows the pendulum leader and the crutch. Older clocks have to be manually set in beat by moving the pendulum leader to one side or the other to make a good even tick tock sound. You need to move the leader until it stops then put a little pressure to move it a tad more. If it sounds worse you are going the wrong way. Push the leader to the other side. When I'm confused I just move the leader all the way to one side and bring it back until the beat sounds even.

Are you saying this is a 5 tube movement? 5 pipes hanging down the back of the clock?
Well that would narrow the movement identification down a bit. There aren't many Kieninger 5 tube movements.

You can find the movement number on the back plate of the movement itself. Usually it's on the bottom or in the lower right corner on the back plate.

When you find any numbers "K... R... or any letters or numbers write them down and call Mark Butterworth. Phone: 1-563-263-6759. He will help you identify the movement and he has the best prices on a new movement if that is what you need otr choose to do.

You may just want to have a house call for this clock to see the condition of the movement (is it worn, dirty, in need of oil?) and perhaps to put it in beat. If you can take the movement out and bring it to a shop it may be a free estimate when brought to the shop. I do know that any overhaul on a tube clock is going into the high hundreds of dollars. Here on Long Island the price of around $1,000 to 1,200 for a complete overhaul, bushings and stuff.

If you are handy you may want to investigate replacing the movement yourself...????

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady  

Clocks, Watches

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Marilyn Bellotti


This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.


29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist

©2017 All rights reserved.